Ohio's food industry is one of the few bright spots in an otherwise challenging market environment. Yet the need for a cogent strategy to protect the long-term value of food enterprises remains. Sweeping new federal food safety laws and state and local food initiatives are reshaping the food industry - from farming to food production and packaging facilities. At the same time, rising commodity costs and an unsettled labor market, among other factors, present strong headwinds to players at every level of the food industry.
For over 90 years, the lawyers of Hahn Loeser have taken pride in representing companies, from entrepreneurs starting with a dream, to large publicly traded corporations. We are especially proud of our representation of companies engaged in the food industry. We currently serve as counsel to more than 20 food and beverage companies whose aggregate annual sales top $5 billion.
Our lawyers understand the legal trends that affect food and beverage companies and have helped our clients develop action steps to protect the health and stability of their businesses. During the last 24 months, Hahn Loeser’s Food & Beverage Group has counseled clients in these matters:
- Mergers, Acquisitions, and Asset Sales and Dispositions
- Term and Working Capital Financings
- Wage and Hour Disputes (including donning and doffing issues
- Product Recall Procedures
- Plant and Products Inspections
- Private Label Supply Agreements
- Exclusive Distribution Agreements
- Licensing Transactions
- Joint Ventures
- Union Avoidance
- Labor Negotiations & Contract Administration
- Trademark and Patent Applications
- Trademark Licensing
- Patent and Trademark Enforcement and Defense
- Whistle-blowing under Food Safety and Modernization Act
We also have coordinated efficiently with leading Washington, D.C. law and advocacy firms specializing in food industry regulatory matters to ensure that our clients’ interests are fully protected.